1. GENERAL A. The intent of this Agreement is to insure that PUBLISHER and AUTHOR are fairly and consistently compensated for sales of the WORK. B. Disbursements and compensation will be based on a Gross Margin after discounts and printing costs have been deducted from the sales price. C. All changes in expenses from those listed in this Schedule shall be communicated in written form from PUBLISHER to AUTHOR. D. AUTHOR and PUBLISHER agree to third party arbitration in the event of a disagreement regarding disbursements.
2. ROYALTIES AND SALES CHANNEL DISCOUNTS Discounts to book distributors may vary, depending upon agreements reached between the printer and the distributor. While the following are the rates currently in effect, Westview cannot control agreements between other parties. If the discount varies, it will be reflected in remittances to AUTHOR. Discounts: For sales transacted upon the Published by Westview website: 10 % Wholesale varies with bookstore’s contract with the printer. Typically amazon.com: 55 % ; other wholesale outlets: 45% Author Royalties: 40 % of the Gross Margin on all web site and wholesale distribution sales
3. FREQUENCY OF DISBURSEMENTS A. Royalties will be paid semi-annually. B. Payment will be made to AUTHOR by check and mailed to the address specified in this agreement. C. It is incumbent upon AUTHOR to notify PUBLISHER of any address change in a timely fashion. D. Royalty checks will be mailed November 15 for the previous January 1 - June 30, and on May 15 for the previous July 1 – December 31. This will allow time for adjustments for sales returns, if needed and applicable.
4. BOOK RETURNS A. It is PUBLISHER’S standard policy not to accept returns from wholesalers or distributors other than for cases of damages in shipment. The author has the option of personally guaranteeing payment for these returns in order to maximize distribution outlets. B. All retail purchases from our web site are unconditionally guaranteed with a full purchase price refund (excluding shipping) for dissatisfied customers. Such a refund will result in the loss of a royalty payment to the author for that sales transaction.
5. FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS A. AUTHOR will pay PUBLISHER for all setup expenses as checked and initialed by the AUTHOR in Addendums 1 and 2 in full, in advance of work being begun. B. Upon receipt of this amount, PUBLISHER will immediately begin fulfilling its obligations under this Agreement. C. AUTHOR will pay the PUBLISHER in full for any author requested changes being made to the WORK prior to the book moving to the next stage in the process, unless the changes are required due to PUBLISHER error. Charges apply whether the revisions are made by the PUBLISHER to additional Author’s Proofs or by re-submission of revisions to the printer, as defined in Section 2 of Schedule 2 and in Sections 2,3, and 4 of Schedule 1. D. AUTHOR will make full payment prior to printing of any publisher provided items, including but not limited to: books, business cards, bookmarks, postcards, and posters. E. The initial order of black and white interior, standard-sized book copies shall be directly available to AUTHOR at a cost per copy consistent with the table attached as Addendum 5. These prices are dependent upon the final book specification, including page size and total page count. Costs for books with color interiors are available upon request. The only additional cost shall be a direct charge back to AUTHOR of shipping costs appropriate to the shipping method requested by AUTHOR. This price is based upon the current market price of books manufactured by our printer, and is guaranteed only for the AUTHOR’s initial order of books. Regarding subsequent orders, there will not be an increase in this cost per copy unless it is to reflect increases in manufacturing costs. AUTHOR will be notified in advance of printing of any such change, which will not affect any commitment by AUTHOR currently in effect. F. The AUTHOR is responsible for collecting and remitting all sales taxes due on sales made directly by the AUTHOR.
This Agreement details in full the financial obligations between PUBLISHER and AUTHOR.